How to prevent Diseases with Food(s)
“You are what you eat!”
I believe you must have begun to, by now, comprehend the, in details the, meaning of this bold and blunt quotation above.
WHAT IS NUTRITION?
According to the World Health Organization = “Nutrition is the intake of food, considered in relation to the body’s dietary needs. Good nutrition (they quickly added) – an adequate well-balanced diet combined with regular physical activity- is a cornerstone of good health. – WHO www.who.int/topics/nutrition/en/
From the first part of the article on the principles of health; NUTRITION I, we made it abundantly clear that our need of nutrients is best derived or sourced from the plant kingdom; of fruits, vegetables, grains, and nuts have all our nutritional needs in abundance.
This article is a continuation of the first, NUTRITION I, to buttress the point that health could be archived and maintained by eating properly and of the right things too.
“Gluttony” or excess, not lack “is the prevailing sin of this age”*
Our diet or nutritional source should be suited to the season, to the climate in which we live, and to the occupation we follow.* -this means we must pay attention to what we do and what we need, especially, in the area of food and eating. It will not be a waste of time and resources to have a professional to aid in the arrangement and placement of your menus and recipes.
The more we depend upon the fresh fruit just as it is plucked from the tree, the greater will be the blessing. *
The Dangers of eating too much
Overeating has a worse effect on the system than overworking. That excess food cannot be made into either flesh or blood, and its presence burdens the liver and produces a morbid condition of the system. *
Many are suffering, and many are going into the grave, because of the indulgence of appetite. This brings on acute disease and too often death follows. The delicate organism of the body is worn out by the suicidal practices, of improper eating and drinking, by those who ought to know better*
Licentious cravings or foods make slaves of men and women, and such indulgence beclouds their intellects and stupefies their moral sensibilities to such a degree that the sacred, elevated truths of God’s word are not appreciated.
Proper ways to handle our food and eating habits
Do Not eat your food Very hot or cold
Food should not be eaten very hot or very cold. If food is cold, the vital force of the stomach is drawn upon in order to warm it before digestion can take place.*
In order to secure healthy digestion, food should be eaten slowly to allow the saliva to mix properly with the food. Not to skip a process in food ingestion- the digestion of carbohydrates, which is almost a common content of food articles, begins in the mouth.
To eat horridly of several kinds of food at a meal is a serious mistake. It is very injurious to the system. It should not be done.
Reading or exercising immediately after eaten is wrong
Neither study nor violent exercise should be engaged in immediately after a full meal; this would be a violation of the laws of the system.*
Eat at regular times
Regularity in eating should be carefully observed and maintained.
Diligent study is not the principal cause of the breaking down of the mental powers. The main cause is improper diet, irregular meals, and a lack of physical exercise. Irregular hours for eating and sleeping sap the brain force of vigor and mental health
Be less frequent in eating
After disposing of a meal, the digestive organs need to rest. At least five or six hours should intervene between meals, and most persons who give the plan, of eating less frequently, a trial will find out that two meals a day are better than tree.*
If a third meal is eaten at all, it should be light, and eaten several hours before going to bed, at least you should not eat later than 6:30 pm.
- Do not eat and Drink at meals
Many people make a serious mistake in drinking cold water with their meal.
Ice water or ice lemonade, taken with meals, will arrest digestion until the system has imparted sufficient warmth to the stomach to enable it take up its work of digestion again
The more liquid taken into the stomach with meals, the more difficult it is for the food to digest; for the liquid must first be absorbed and the digestive enzymes, as most nutritionist and chemists believe, are diluted in the process.
- Take Drinks only at room temperature
The colder the water or other drinks you take into your system, the greater the injury to the stomach. Therefore never take chilled drinks or liquids colder than the ambiance temperature`
- Do not Skip Breakfast
It is the custom and order of society today to take a slight breakfast. But this is not the best way to treat the stomach. At breakfast time the stomach is in a better condition to take care of more food than at the second or third meal of the day.
The habit of eating a sparing breakfast and a large dinner is wrong. Make your breakfast correspond more nearly to the heartiest meal of the day.
- Do not use spoiled food items. Many die by eating decayed fruit and decayed vegetables, stale foods and rancid oils and margarine/butters should never be consumed.
For students and office workers
- A fruit diet for a few days has often brought great relief to brain workers (i.e. students and office workers)
- Many times a short period of entire abstinence from food (fasting), followed by a simple, moderate eating, has led to recovery through nature’s own recuperative effort.
- Be careful with the use of Sugar. The free use of milk and sugar taken together should be keenly avoided. Sugar clogs the system. Sugar, when largely used, is more injurious than meat.
- Do not ingest Baking powder/ soda. Baking powder/soda in any form should not be introduced into the stomach; for the effect is fearful. It eats the coatings of the stomach, causes inflammation, and frequently poisons the entire system.
- Do not use half-baked bread. Bread should be thoroughly baked, inside and out. The health of the stomach demands that it be light and dry
- Note: The oil in the olives (olive oil) relieves-
- heals consumptives (coughs)
- And medicinal for inflamed and irritated stomachs, it is better than any drug.
What Food is best for children?
“A 2001 study by German pediatrician professor Berthold Koletzko found that breastfeeding children for at least six months gave them a 40% lower risk of becoming obese in later life.” And that “Infants fed formula are more likely to become obese” Time, July 7, 2003
The best food for the infant is the Mother’s breast milk
The best food for the infant is the food that nature provides (mother’s breast milk). Of this, it should not be needlessly deprived. It is a heartless thing for a mother, for the sake of convenience or social enjoyment, to seek to free herself from the tender office of nursing her little one.4
Start the Training early
The training or temperance, regularity and contentment, should begin with the infant in the mother’s arms. The children should be given food only at regular intervals, and less frequently as it grows older. It should not be given sweets etc, it is not the best for children or anyone at all.*
- Children have rights, they have preferences, and when these preferences are reasonable, they should be respected.
- Teach your children Self-control. The greatest danger of the young is a lack of self-control. Indulgent parents do not teach their children self-denial in things that ultimately shape their health and life
- Regularity should be the rule in all the habits of children.
- Live for your family and less for the entire universe. Parents should live more for their children, and less for the society. Study health subjects, and put your knowledge to practical use. Do not be moved by popular adverts and societal trends. Make sure to provide for the family only that which is needful and healthful.
- Teach your children to abhor stimulants- colas, nicotine, tobaccos and products loaded with caffeine.
- Teach your children to reason from cause to effect. Teach them that if they desire health and happiness, they must obey the laws of nature…patiently continue your work with much perseverance.
Note: “…people who are obese as children have a high risk of becoming obese adults- meaning they will have much higher risk than their slender counterparts of contracting a broad range of debilitating diseases, including heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes and cancer.5 Time, July 7, 2003,/ Vol. 162 No 1
Godliness and Appetite
It is impossible for those who give the reins to appetite to attain to Christian perfection6 [no wonder there is a marked shift in the moral standards of people and nations that were stern believers in God, and did trust Him greatly, year ago.
The preponderance of the American and European population indulge themselves to excess in eating and drinking, -with less physical work too- and they are fast losing the perfection they once had.(this quote was Written over a hundred and twenty years ago and they remain valid today than ever before)
The prevalence of cancer and tumors is largely due to gross living on dead flesh [the consumption of animal flesh and products].7 These and other lifestyle diseases will diminish if we will only use the original diet as approved for man by his Maker.
Please, learn to prepare and eat your food with intelligence, and to enjoy your food with caution.
*Note: the quotations from some popular magazines e.g. Time Magazine and Newsweek- are explicit reports on scientific researches made by universities, laboratories, nutritionists and scientists, and are not just an effort by journalists to fill –up columns on issues. Rather, they are facts brought to the public domain through the mass media –of print- because of the prevalence of these ravaging diseases and the need to help proffer correct information to the populace.
1*-*# Culled from Council on Diet and Foods. By Ellen G. White
2 Time, July 7, 2003
3 “Council on Diet and Foods”. By Ellen G. White
4 Counsels on Diet and Foods, p. 81.82.
5 Time, July 7, 2003,/ Vol. 162 No 1
6 “Council on Diet and Foods”. By Ellen G. White